Rice, Beads, and 20+ findable objects in one container.
We were inspired to create this while waiting in a doctor’s office and playing with one of popular versions that are for sale. This would be a great activity for a party too.
1. Duct tape
4. empty container (A recycled parmesan container like ours works great!)
5. small objects
6. paper/pencil or computer printer
1. Find small objects around your house that people can seek like buttons, paper clips, charms, etc.
2. Write a list of the objects you are going to include so that people know what to look for.
2. Put enough rice and beads into empty container for it to be full to about an inch from the top.
3. Dump rice and beads into a bowl and mix in small objects.
4. Put mixture back into container and screw on lid.
5. Add duct tape around lid to secure.
6. Tape of objects in the container to the lid.
Cigar boxes are cool because they are usually made of wood, covered by paper. This makes them very sturdy. We don’t smoke cigars, but we picked up the empty boxes for fifty cents each at a store that sells them. There are so many ways to decorate these boxes that we are not going to type out a list of directions. Instead we’ll make a few comments on the boxes you see here. Then you can let your creativity run wild.
I covered the box above with a thin layer of glue and then scrapbook paper. Then I added random things we had around the house like buttons, gemstones, silk flowers and game pieces. If you look closely, you’ll see that the purple and pink flowers here are little plastic elephants and hippos that came out of a game.
The boxes below are covered with fabric. The bamboo beads around the edge came from an old bamboo placemat. The beads were also used as legs. Adding legs to your box will make it look fancier and more complete.
Used jewlery dresses up a box.
This last box was covered with pages from an old dictionary and then coated with Modge Podge. A pin was added to the front to dress up the box. The edges are lined with scrapbook trim.
Cigar boxes come in a lot of different shapes and sizes and are fun to decorate!