When we were on vacation we picked one of our favorite posts from last year to re-post.We have a lot more visitors now than we used to, so many of you might not have seen this cool craft.
From: 29AUG 2010
My mom found a cool blog (http://knit1slip1.com/jewelry/) that showed how to make beads out of plastic bottles. We were going to recycle the bottoms of the bottles, but I liked the designs and decided to try making pendants out of them. They turned out cool. But you need an adult to help with this craft!
- Plastic Recyclable Drink Bottles
- Sharpie Markers
- Jump Ring
- Needle Nose pliers
*We used a Dremel drill to put a tiny hole in the plastic for the jump ring.
- Cut bottom off of a plastic drink bottle.
- Use Sharpies to color inside of bottle bottom.
- Grip edge of bottle bottom with pliers.
- Carefully hold it over flame until cut edges curl under.
- Set on a heatproof surface (like a trivet or a ceramic plate) to cool.
- Use drill to put hole in pendant for jump ring.
- Thread jump ring through hole.
Note: Work in a well ventilated area. The plastic will give off some fumes when melting and we can’t know for sure, but you probably shouldn’t inhale them!