These cute tote bags were fun to make. Ours are scaled for 18” dolls like American Girl dolls.
- Felt shapes, decorative brads, ribbon, and rhinestones for decorating
- Ribbon, fishing line, coated wire for handles.
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- Cut strip of felt so that when you fold it over it will be a little larger than desired bag size. (The dimensions of our bags were from 2 ¼ inches to 3 ½ inches.)
- Fold felt over and stitch up the sides.
- Decorate front of bag as desired. Be creative!
- Add handles. We used several methods to do this. For the orange bag we threaded beads onto fishing line and sewed it into the bag. The blue bag has beads strung on coated wire. For the bags with ribbon handles we threaded ribbon through the eye of a large needle and stitched it into the sides of the bag.
This craft was fast and fun!
Here’s a fast, fun, and fabulous craft to make for your American Girl Dolls, or for any other dolls too!
1. Cut fabric to the size and shape you want.
2. If fabric is very fuzzy, flip it over and put a line of fabric glue down each edge to keep from unraveling.
3. Cut fringe long enough for the short ends of the fabric. (Or enough to go around the edge, if creating a round or oval rug.
4. Put a small line of glue across the area where you want to add fringe.
5. Press fringe onto glue.
3. Adhesive (sticky) backed foam sheets
1. Place the foam sheet on a flat surface.
2. Trace a shoe or your doll’s foot onto the foam. (trace around each foot twice)
3. Cut out all four tracings.
4. Cut 4 pieces of ribbon 2 1/2 in. long.
5. Peel backing from 1 “left shoe” foam, set aside.
6. Stick one end of ribbon to outer edge of foam about 1 ½ inches from heel.
7. Stick the other end of ribbon to inside edge of foam, forming an arch.
8. Replace backing and slide onto doll’s foot for fitting. Adjust as needed.
10. Using the same process, add second ribbon to shoe, 1/8 inch above first one.
11. Peel backing from 1 “right foot” foam.
12. Carefully slide it under the ribbons and stick to sticky side of “left foot foam.” The ribbons will be caught between the two pieces of foam, so the shoe will have a smooth top and bottom.
13. Repeat process for other shoe.
Make a realistic looking suitcase for your doll.
This craft is a little more difficult, but we loved the result!
- Altoids tin
- Sheet of blank paper
- Masking tape
- Brown shoe polish
- coated wire
- long bead or several small beads
- Small picture-hanging nail
- Fold sheet of paper until it is slightly smaller than top of Altoids tin. This will cover the embossed letters, if present. It will also provide dimension.
- Center the folded sheet on top of Altoids tin and secure with masking tape.
- Continue to place pieces of masking tape on box until the entire surface is covered.
- Using a soft rag apply brown shoe polish to the masking tape. Wipe off excess with clean rag. Repeat process for darker color.
- Have an adult puncture two holes in side of Altoids tins that is opposite from the hinge. Use picture hanging nail and hammer for this. (Each of our holes was approximately two centimeters from the edge.)
- Thread one end of coated wire through hole.
- Add bead or beads.
- Bring Wire through other hole and twist to secure.
- Decorate your suitcase with small stickers, postage stamps, or home made stickers (directions below.)
To Make Travel Stickers
- Tiny printouts of travel pictures (we used Microsoft Word clip art)
- Transparent tape
- Print out small travel pictures. Pictures should be narrow enough to be covered by a single piece of transparent tape.
- Color pictures with markers.
- Cut out pictures.
- Place sticky side of tape over colored side of pictures, leaving edges of the tape exposed.
- Carefully cut around pictures leaving a small area of sticky side of tape around the edges.
- Apply these picture-stickers to surface of suitcase.